What is a cluster rehearsal?
A cluster rehearsal is a combined rehearsal for students and school choir teachers / HPI choir teachers from neighbouring schools where the Director of Music or Assistant Director of Music, engage the students in the teaching and consolidation of the 2019 repertoire.
- So your choir students can work with Robyn or Cathy, and begin their ‘relationship’ which develops at future choir visits and assessments, concert rehearsals and performances, solo pre-audition workshops, solo masterclasses, and auditions.
- To model good choir practice – for the students AND choir teachers.
- To provide the experience of singing and working with a larger choir, ie the concept of the ‘mass choir’ with a big team of singers!
- To motivate students and promote the idea that “choir is fun” – to begin the ‘choir effect’ in your school!
- So you can observe YOUR students and check out their attitude; suitability; potential; and even stand close to see if there is soloist potential!
- To teach some “tricky bits” to students AND choir teachers (who are still getting to know the repertoire early in the year).
- To learn specific warm ups / choral techniques / teaching strategies (ongoing observation opportunity / PD).
- To make connections with local schools in your area, especially between HPI’s and choir teachers AND create opportunities for future collaborations – rehearsals, bus travel, etc.
- To promote the values of participation, equity and inclusivity for ALL students, choir teachers and support staff.
- To ensure a consistent approach to teaching the repertoire.
- All ‘Adelaide Festival’ metropolitan schools must attend or host a cluster rehearsal during Weeks 3 - 7 of Term 1.
- The cluster rehearsal is held at a HOST school, and one or more schools will attend, according to their choir rehearsal day & location, meaning students may walk to a nearby host school, or be transported by bus / private cars.
- Plan for 1 1⁄2 hours to include:
- Set up of venue - chairs, keyboard / piano, sound system, etc
- Warmup exercises and rounds, ideally to be done before the conductors arrive
- One hour with Robyn or Cathy
- closing activities/choreography/revision of songs
- Cluster rehearsals are held at the HOST school, from Monday to Friday at:
- 9:30am – 10:30am, 9:15am arrival & set up
- 11:30am – 12:30pm, 11:15am arrival & setup,
- 1:30 – 2:30pm, 1:15pm arrival & setup.
- Robyn or Cathy will attend for the hour indicated in bold
- Get in early and have yours in week 3, to kick start your program!!!
- Once you have commenced rehearsals we introduce new repertoire and add to current knowledge.
Schools OUTSIDE of the GOOLWA, MURRAY BRIDGE, GAWLER Boundary
- Cluster rehearsals do not apply to ‘Adelaide Affiliated Festival’ schools that are outside the Goolwa, Murray Bridge and Gawler boundary.
- Your choir will receive a 2 hour visit at the end of Term 1 and will be a combination of the assessment followed by a rehearsal.
- We will send you a proposed visit schedule at the beginning of 2019.
- Cluster rehearsals do not apply to ‘Adelaide Affiliated Festival’ remote schools.
- Your choir will receive a 3 hour visit at the end of Term 1 or early Term 2 and will be a combination of the assessment followed by a rehearsal.
- This will be organised at Conference 1, and we will send you a proposed visit schedule soon after that.
This combination ensures that we interact with every choir affiliated with the Adelaide Festival.
PSMF REGIONAL FESTIVALS
- On request, Regional Festivals are entitled to a 3 hour workshop either late Term 1 or early Term 2.
- Please let Robyn know if you would like a regional workshop and some possible dates for your students by the end of THIS YEAR PLEASE.
- We will send you a proposed schedule at the beginning of 2019.
If you are unsure of where your school fits in this scenario please contact the PSMF office for clarification.