What is a Combined Choir rehearsal?
A Combined Choir rehearsal is a rehearsal for your choir students PLUS choir students and choir teachers from neighbouring schools where the Director (Robyn) or Assistant Director of Music (Cathy), engage the students in the teaching and learning of songs from the repertoire.
A Combined Choir Rehearsal (CCR) is a combined schools rehearsal for your choir students PLUS choir students and teachers from neighbouring schools where the Director (Robyn) or Assistant Director of Music (Cathy), engage the students in the teaching and learning of songs from the 2023 repertoire.
What is the purpose of the Combined Choir Rehearsal?
To connect with every choir affiliated with the Adelaide Festival in Term 1 or 2!
- Your choir students get to work with either Robyn or Cathy and begin a ‘relationship’ which will continue with future choir visits and assessments, solo pre-audition workshops, solo auditions and masterclasses and concert rehearsals and performances.
- To model good choir practice – for the students AND choir teachers.
- To provide the experience of singing in a bigger choir, ie the exciting concept of the ‘mass choir’ with a large team of singers, this is really important for the new Year 5s and Year 6s!
- To motivate students and promote the idea that “choir is fun”.
- To teach some Hot Spots or “tricky bits” to students AND choir teachers (who are still getting to know the repertoire early in the year).
- YOU can observe YOUR students, checking out their attitude, suitability, and potential. You might even stand close enough to listen to voices to see if there is soloist potential amongst new kids!
- YOU can learn warmups and observe specific choral pedagogy and strategies (ongoing observation opportunity / PD).
- YOU can make connections with local schools in your area, and create opportunities for future collaborations with neighbouring choirs – rehearsals, bus travel, etc.
- To promote the values of participation, equity and inclusivity for ALL students, choir teachers and support staff.
- To promote a consistent approach to teaching the repertoire.
- It is mandatory for all ‘Adelaide Festival’ metropolitan schools to attend or host one CCR during Weeks 3 - 7 of Term 1.
- The CCR is held at a HOST school, where other schools might also attend, according to their choir rehearsal day and location, meaning students may walk to a nearby host school, or be transported by bus or private cars.
- Think smart in 2023 and ‘get to a school that is close to you!!’
- We encourage you to consider attending a CCR on a different day to your usual choir rehearsal when a HOST school is close. It saves you the cost of a bus!
- Plan your CCR for about 2 hours.
- Combined Choir rehearsals are held at the HOST school, from Monday to Friday.
- Consider ‘Combined Choiring’ early in the term - have your rehearsal in week 3, to kick start your program!!!
- Or if you have commenced choir rehearsals already then, we can introduce new repertoire and build on existing knowledge.
Combined Choir Rehearsals do not apply to Adelaide Festival Schools OUTSIDE of the GOOLWA, MURRAY BRIDGE, GAWLER Boundary
- Your choir will receive a 2-hour visit at the end of Term 1 and will be a combination of the visit and some assessment time.
- We will send you a proposed visit schedule early in term 1.
- Combined Choir Rehearsals do not apply to ‘Adelaide Festival’ remote schools.
- Your choir will receive a 3-hour workshop visit at the end of Term 1 or early Term 2 and will be a combination of a repertoire workshop and some assessment time.
- This will be organised at Conference 1, and we will send you a proposed visit schedule soon after that.
Our aim is to connect with every choir affiliated with the Adelaide Festival in Term 1 or 2!
PSMF REGIONAL FESTIVALS
- On request, Regional Festivals and their affiliated schools are entitled to a 3-hour workshop either late Term 1 or early Term 2.
- Please let Robyn know if you would like a regional workshop and possible dates for your students by the end of THIS YEAR, or as soon as possible!! Domusic.firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will send you a proposed schedule at the beginning of 2023.
If you are unsure of what your school choir is entitled to, please contact the PSMF office for clarification.