Child Privacy and Protection Policy
Use of Video-conferencing
This document is written for the following groups of people when participating in activities organised by the PSMF Support Service: PSMF Staff, Music Society Personnel, Orchestra Conductors, Troupe and Host Coordinators, Choir Teachers, Supervising Teachers and Adults, Volunteers, Students and Parents.
The Primary Schools Music Festival (PSMF) aims to create a safe, success-oriented learning environment, which protects the rights of students and staff to engage positively in the learning process and where student and staff wellbeing is a focus. The environment will ensure that:
- Staff and students are kept safe when engaging in video-conferencing lessons
- Staff, students and parents work together in partnership
- Communication is based on mutual respect
- Check settings prior to meetings –
- Turn off/on chat settings
- Enable waiting room
- Turn off screen share
- Turn off ability to record
- Invite will include attendance expectations i.e. Is this meeting compulsory or optional?
- Breakout rooms are to be used under the supervision of an adult.
- Invite to video-conference meeting is to be emailed to parents not students.
- Ensure another adult will be in attendance at the meeting.
- Ensure both adults are in the meeting room before permitting students to enter.
- Develop and foster positive relationships with students and families.
- Be positive, consistent, clear and fair.
- Assume responsibility for students under their supervision.
- Provide an environment that:
- Protects the rights of students and adults
- Is safe, orderly and well organised
- Is success oriented
- Values the contribution of all members
- Encourages students to take responsibility for their own learning and engage in cooperative problem solving
- Sessions are not to be recorded.
- If using chatroom, ensure expectations are clear and respected.
- At the end of the meeting, ensure the meeting is CLOSED.
Zoom is the only approved video-conferencing software for the PSMF.
Any person entering a PSMF video conference is hereby agreeing to all of the terms listed below.
Setting up a Meeting:
Running a meeting:
Parent/ Caregivers Responsibilities:
- Ensure your child is sitting in a communal space where distractions can be minimised. This means somewhere like a living/dining room, not a bedroom.
- Ensure there is nothing in the background that can identify you or your family members.
- Provide a suitable device such as a desktop PC, laptop, iPad or tablet with suitable camera and microphone capabilities.
- Consider the need for a webcam if this does not come as standard hardware on your PC or laptop.
- Provide a reliable home internet connection.
- Ensure your child is dressed in neat, casual attire ie. no pyjamas etc.
- Ensure your child is in sight of an adult at all times
- Ensure that your child understands their teacher’s expectations.
- Check in regularly with your child to see how they are adjusting and how their learning is progressing.
- Check attendance expectations in email invite and ensure your child follows these.
- Ensure you are sitting in a communal space where distractions can be minimised. This means somewhere like a living/dining room, not a bedroom.
- Ensure the environment is appropriate as you will be using live video streaming, i.e. no distractions.
- Ensure you are dressed in neat, casual attire i.e. no pyjamas etc.
- Ensure your parent is in your line of sight at all times.
- Show respect for the environment, property and equipment.
- Have a positive and responsible attitude to learning.
- Communicate in a positive and respectful manner.
- Ensure you follow the host/teacher expectations and instructions as in normal lesson learning.
- If you do not follow these expectations, you may be removed from the meeting.